Clipped From The Tennessean

dwsutton Member Photo

Clipped by dwsutton

 - THE TENNESSEAN, Sunday, Aug. 5, 1973 19-A...
THE TENNESSEAN, Sunday, Aug. 5, 1973 19-A Franklin Man Bound Over FRANKLIN, Tenn. -Charles Robert Hawks, 20, of Colt Lane was bound over to the Williamson County Grand Jury yesterday on charges of manslaughter and disposing of a dead body in the drug death of a Franklin teenager. General Sessions Court Judge James C. Short set bond at $1,000 on each charge, and Hawks remained in the county jail last night. He is charged in connection with the death of David A. Eason Jr., 18, of Rebel Meadows Subdivision, whose body was found July 21 in the back seat of his car behind a truck stop near the interchange of Peytonsville Road and Interstate 65 south of here. A CORONER'S jury ruled at an inquest that the death was the result of drugs. Three juveniles are also charged with disposing of the body. At yesterday's hearing, Sue Maddox, 13, of Franklin, testified that she, Eason, Hawks, and another girl, Robin Jones, 16, of Franklin, injected heroin at a rented motel room on the night that Eason died. She testified that she saw Hawks with a syringe when Eason went into the bathroom to take the drug. She said when Eason returned from the bathroom, "he was staggering and his eyes looked funny." The girl quoted him as saying, "That's some really good stuff." MISS MADDOX testified the four had paid $45 for three bags of heroin to a man on Jefferson Street in Nashville. She said Hawks made the purchase after tasting the drug to make sure it was heroin. She further testified that when the three started to leave the room, they told Eason they were leaving but that he didn't answer. Sheriff Fleming Williams read a statement which he said Hawks gave officers after his arrest, and which stated that Hawks helped Eason take the shot. The statement attributed to Hawks said he pulled back the plunger to make sure the needle was in the vein, and after blood started backing up into the syringe, he forced the heroin into the vein. IT ALSO quoted Hawks as saying he and. Miss Jones found Eason dead when they returned to the motel room. Hawks said, according to the statement, that he went to the truck stop and recruited David Wayne Helton, 17, of Franklin, and Michael Eugene Daniels, 16, of Thompson Station, to help him move the body. A hearing for the three, juveniles is " scheduled at 2 p . m . tomorrow before Juvenile Court Judge Fulton Greer. COMPLETE STOCK OF BOOKS TOP-NOTCH PERSONALIZED SERVICE THREE CONVENIENT LOCATIONS V MILLS BOOK STORES HILISBORO VILLAGE 100 OAKS (OpenNiqhU) BELLE MEADE PLAZA

Clipped from
  1. The Tennessean,
  2. 05 Aug 1973, Sun,
  3. Page 19

dwsutton Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in